Here's a wee bit about me. My first degree is in chemistry, where I specialised in biological and medicinal chemistry and obtained a First Class honours degree. My PhD is in organic chemistry. Following that, I spent 4 years in the pharmaceutical industry where I was developing drugs for cardiovascular disease and cancer.
I had a particular fascination with the placebo effect so I began to research it in my spare time, uncovering a wealth of facts about the mind-body connection and how it works. Realising there wasn't much public understanding of the mind-body connection at the time, I resigned from the pharmaceutical industry with a goal of writing books and educating people on how they can harness their mind and emotions to optimise and improve their health and wellbeing. That was in 1999.
Incidentally, during my time in the pharmaceutical industry, I was also an athletics coach and team manager of one of the UK's largest athletics clubs (Sale Harriers, Manchester), where I led the U20 Men's team to three successive UK championship finals.
I am now author of 10 books, including, 'The Little Book of Kindness', ‘How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body’, the Amazon No.1 bestseller, ‘I Heart Me’, and the Amazon top 5 bestseller, ‘The Five Side Effects of Kindness’.
I write a regular blog on my website (there's over 100 of them to check out). I am also the ‘Kindness Tsar’ for Psychologies Magazine and write the ‘Kindness Conversation’, where I interview famous people about kindness.
I have been a guest on Channel 4’s live show, ‘Sunday Brunch’, in the UK and ‘CBS Sunday Morning’, in the USA, talking about the health benefits of being kind. I am also featured in HEAL documentary, which is on Netflix and iTunes.
Here's a few kinda fun facts very few people know about me:
- I used to be lead singer in a 14-piece soul band.
- I unofficially (for about a week in the late 90s) held a memory world record for memorising the order of a deck of 52 cards (in just under 2 minutes). My party trick was memorising a 100-digit number in about the same time. Haha - exciting parties! LOL
- I play competitive tennis
- Among other jobs, I drove a van for a parcel delivery company to earn money while I wrote my first book.
- Even though I'm a writer now, I failed my English exam on my first attempt at high school.
- My PhD thesis was on: "Synthesis and reactivity of pi-allycyclopentadienyl cobaltolactone complexes" ... phew! :-)